Ingredients for Hush Puppies:
- 1 ½ cup Best Choice Cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup Best Choice Milk
- 1 tbsp Best Choice Vegetable Oil plus more for frying
- 2 tbsp onion grated
- 2 Best Choice Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Best Choice Flour, sifted
- 3 tsp Best Choice Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Best Choice Salt
- 1 tsp Best Choice Sugar
- 2 jalapenos, diced (optional)
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil. Pour cornmeal in hot water and stir until stiff. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl stir to combine milk, oil and onion together. Next, add in beaten eggs and jalapenos. In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Combine the dry ingredients mixture with the wet ingredients. Finally, add the cornmeal mixture. Be sure to blend thoroughly.
- Heat 1in of vegetable oil in a pan to med-high heat. Drop batter by the teaspoon full into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown about 6-7 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper.
Ingredients for Pickled Onion Slaw:
- ½ cup water
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tbsp Best Choice Apple Cider Vinegar, divided
- 1 tbsp Best Choice Honey, divided
- 1/2 red onion, vertically sliced
- 2 tbsp Best Choice Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Best Choice Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Best Choice Salt
- ½ green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Bring water, vinegar and 2 tsp honey to a boil in a small saucepan. Add onions and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let stand until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, whisk together oil, pepper, salt, remaining 1 tsp honey in a large bowl. Add cabbage and parsley, toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain onions and stir into cabbage mixture. Chill until ready to serve.